Painting the roses red

by - 6:00 AM

This project started the way many of my projects start: jealousy of the neighbor's roses and the lack of tomatoes in my refrigerator at the exact moment that I wanted to make a tomato sandwich...or maybe I wanted a tomato sandwich after I found out I had no tomatoes...The point is, I saw how beautiful the back yard was becoming and said to myself:  I cannot live another day without a raised vegetable garden.

When I first moved into the house, the weeds were so tall that my Maya would get lost in the jungle.  I didn't even try to get in there.  Are you kidding...I have seen all those I Shouldn't be Alive episodes where people almost die because they are exploring where they shouldn't have and get bitten by the rarest, most poisonous snake in the world.  Sure, it was in Australia, but I am not taking any chances.

Anyway, the weeds are now dead, some trees were planted...some trees have died...but the seed grass is coming in nicely.  We could not simply buy pallets of carpet grass because apparently it was so hot that they all died and Lowe's and Home Depot will not be getting any more until next year.

Without further rambling, here are the planters that I made:

I see those ugly bricks....yes, they will go once I develop the Hulk muscle necessary to move them.

I used cedar planks because:

A.  They are cheaper.
B.  They are treated to tolerate the weather.
C.  They were cheaper.

My project began to go wrong when I frugally decided to buy a hand saw instead of an electric one.  My father has my electric saw.  What should have taken me an hour, tops, took me an entire day to build, but you should have seen my shaking, sagging big bulging biceps afterward.

How does my garden grow, you ask.  Let me show you.

Prepare to be amazed.




You are not amazed??  

.......

I just planted it.  Please give them time to grow.  I haven't even done a fertility dance in the backyard yet...also, rumor has it they need water too.  This is where I may have failed in the past.

I have only planted in one box:  habaneros, tomatoes, and zucchini.  I am currently searching for basil, more tomatoes, cilantro...and basically anything else I can find.  Wish me luck!



Link Party:
Thrifty Decor Chick
DIY Showoff

You May Also Like

0 comments