All that glitters is not gold...

by - 1:00 AM

...but sometimes you can love something just as much.  Welcome to my new, weekly segment of Thrifty Thursday!  ....actually...this whole blog should be a thrifty Thursday because living on pennies definitely does not allow for me to go and buy me some Chanel...but I don't think I would want to.  For one pair of Chanel shoes, I could buy hundreds of other shoes...I digress...

As my sister's overexcited students say, LOOKIT!!!


That's right people!!  I have fed my addiction to thrift stores once more!  I purchase this pair of Pura Lopez leather Girona pumps worth over $200 for $1.50.  Savers is such an enabler....

Now let's talk about thrifting.  When I first start to post things about my little adventures in bargain shopping, some people I know were a little embarrassed that I was making it public knowledge that I loved going to *gasp* Good Will.  I don't care. For many reasons....

1.  I thought for sure no one would read this blog.  Especially not people I knew (which I really appreciate :)...although now I know to keep things G-ish...as opposed to the scandalous blog it was before- HA!). 
2.  Everybody's doin' it.  This is why I do most things in life.  Just kidding...but seriously.  In this economy, if I wanted to buy a J Crew sweater as an unemployed undergraduate student, I just couldn't do it.  Why lie about where I get things?  Yes, you may not think it's alright to shop thrift, but I have the same shirt as you, and I paid $1.
3.  Adrenaline.  There's nothing like walking up to a big pile of trash and walking away with an item you know is worth hundreds of dollars.  I mean, my heart just starts racing.  I break into spontaneous dance.  I call everyone I know, send pictures, and ask them if they like my item.  If they say yes, I respond with BAM FIFTY CENTS SUCKA! ...yes...I am that cool person...
4.  The pink dress...This, my friends, was the tipping point.  Before the pink dress, I had only had a taste of thrifting.  Of all the thrift stores in all the land, I had to see this pink dress.  You see, I saw this pink dress at Express.  It was perfection that pepto bismol threw up all over in a wonderful way.  I saved my pennies.  I didn't even bake cupcakes that month, and then I bought the dress for more than I want to share.  About a month later, I was browsing through the racks at a Good Will, and I saw it:  my pink dress.  It was new with tags for eight dollars.  So.  Much.  Horror.
5.  The Fun Factor.  I don't usually leave with items.  It can sometimes take me more than an hour just to browse through dresses.  I only try stuff on that I absolutely love.  Since things are second-hand, I have to really love them to leave with them.  Also, when I try clothes on, I usually keep an undershirt and shorts on.
6.  Quality.  Where else am I going to get professional, lined dresses for $3.  Sure, some of these need alterations, but, for the most part, I can do it myself or outsource to my favorite seamstress, mommy.  I do not buy worn-out shirts and pants.  Cheap, nice t-shirts is what Marshalls is for.  Often, you can buy gorgeous pants and dresses at thrift stores from Anne Taylor and the lot, still with tags on.  It is like winning a small lottery for my heart.

Please know that my intentions with these segments are not to show off, but to encourage others to venture out into the thrifting world.  At worst, all you will lose is time.  At best, you will leave with something really gorgeous for really cheap.  Come join us.  We have fur jackets.

You May Also Like

0 comments