A little secret...

by - 1:07 PM

I considered not writing this post-  mainly because people I interact with daily read this, and this happens to be a very personal topic.  Well, if this isn't the place for personal topics and helping each other, I don't know what is.

I have a stomach disease called Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and while it is not something I talk about a lot because people have certain embarrassing ideas associated with the disease (explosive diarrhea anyone??), I am painfully aware of what I eat.

The symptoms of this disease are varied.  Basically, doctors tell you you have IBS when they have ruled out everything else, but there is still something clearly wrong with you.  My main symptom is abdominal pain so terrible I can't even stand up straight.  The very first episode I had was so severe, I passed out in a hallway.  I also tend to struggle to keep weight on when I have bad episodes.  Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night with terrible pain feeling so hot that I am certain I will faint.  When do these happen?  When I am stressed, don't eat often, eat the wrong foods, don't get enough sleep...the list goes on....

I have looked online, but there aren't a lot of web sites people with IBS can use to get some help, so I though I might put some of the things I have learned on here to maybe help someone else out.

My symptoms seem to be under control, and this is what I do:

1.  Peppermint oil:  I take a pill every morning.  Every.  Morning.  You can purchase this anywhere, but trust me, it is much cheaper on Amazon.  when you take these, make sure to take them on an empty stomach or you will be burping peppermint all day.  Peppermint oil seems to relax your stomach in a way that is more efficient than peppermint tea.

 
 
2.  St. John's Wort:  Some doctors will prescribe a mild antidepressant for people with really severe IBS.  In Europe, doctors prescribe St. John's wort instead of Prozac as a medication for mild depression.  Although I do not take these for depression, I do feel a little more upbeat, although that could have a lot to do with the fact that I am no longer crippled with pain and fatigue.


3.  Peppermint Tea:  It is very important to make sure to get the version of this tea that has no caffeine.

Stash Herbal Tea Blends, 20 Count (Pack of 6)

4.  FODMAP Diet:  This is probably the most important thing on this list.  A low FODMAP diet can be a great tool to help you determine which types of foods make you ill.  If anyone would like to know, in more detail, what is involved in a FODMAP diet, please let me know and I will write a more detailed post on it.  I am lucky to be able to eat milk and yogurt to my heart's content, but anything else off this list is basically a no-no.  Most of all, I miss garbanzo beans and lentils....and broccoli...and garlic and onion. 

Source

5.  Drink a lot of water.  Eliminate every carbonated drink or any drink with caffeine.  Trust me on this.  That stuff isn't even good for you anyway....
Source

6.  Cod Liver Oil:  When I have frequent episodes, I tend to become zombie-tired and pick up any virus in the vecinity.  Since I started taking these, I have not had a single cold.  I went from having colds/flu symptoms about ten months out a year to a whole year of not catching anything.  My sister and brother-in-law caught an especially nasty and persistent strep throat, and, for the first time, I stayed completely disease free!!

Source
7.  Keep a food diary.  This is extremely important.  Until you can identify with certainty which foods make you sick, you absolutely have to write down everything you eat.  This is how I discovered that onions were my Achilles heel as well as hot dogs.  Oh hot dogs.  How I miss you....


I am sure I have left some things out, but will continue to update the list as I learn new coping mechanisms.  I am traveling back to my parent's house tomorrow, which means that I will have to make sure to cook my own separate food to avoid getting sick.  

I also have to let you know something that is a little bit sad.  I can't eat a lot of the pastries I post on here.  I may have a teeny tiny slice, but my body can't handle a lot of it.  If I want a double decker brownie supreme, I will make it, eat a t-spoonful or two and then give it to the a family member or friend.  I just can't make myself give up some of these things permanently, so I bake them for people I know will appreciate them. 
 
 I hope at least one person out there finds this post a little helpful.  For those of you out there feeling guilty about eating that hot dog or slice of cake, please savor it.  Enjoy every last piece.  You will never know how good some things are until you can't have them anymore.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thank you posting your experiences with IBS. I was diagnosed about 30 years ago to have it but thankfully, it's left me alone. Stress at the time seemed to be my major trigger. My husband now has it and his doctor recommended the FODMAP diet. I had heard about Peppermint Gels and tea being helpful for stomach problems. Actually, my internist doctor told me that 40% of his patients have IBS so it's not that uncommon. Glad to know you've learned some definite tricks (and triggers) to help you with this devastating syndrome.

    ReplyDelete